TOTAL TIME: 2 HOURS • SERVES 10
To make preparing this dish a snap, use the grating blade on a food processor to prep the vegetables for the stuffing.
- 10 large tomatoes
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 potato, grated
- 1/4 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- Heat oven to 400°F. Use a serrated knife to slice 1/4 inch from top of each tomato; set aside. Using spoon, scoop out tomato flesh, and coarsely chop. Transfer to a large bowl. Arrange tomatoes in a large baking dish.
- To the large bowl with tomato flesh, stir in zucchini, onion, potato, rice, parsley, mint, oregano, and garlic. Add 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Divide filling among all tomatoes, place tops on them, and drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup oil. Pour 1 cup water into the baking dish and bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Cover dish with foil, and continue baking until rice is cooked through, about 1 hour, adding more water if the baking dish dries out.
- Remove from oven. Remove foil, and let tomatoes sit 10 minutes. Dollop with yogurt before serving.
Nutrition Facts :
PER SERVING 225 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 g protein, 215 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 7 g sugars (0 g added sugars), 0 mg cholesterol